Watch the clip twice. Write at least sentence length answers as a comment to this post. You may want to extend your answers out to a paragraph if you feel you need to explain in more detail.
- Why should Australian children learn an Asian language?
- The Asian century is coming. Describe one change happening in Asian countries.
- Why is being close to Asia good for Australia?
- What are the main languages Australians should learn?
- What problems must be overcome to teach Asian languages in Australia?
- What is the main idea of the BTN clip?
Check out the ‘G5 camp’ page for more details of the disco, dress up dinner, dates, clothing etc.
What are you looking forward to most about Grade 5 camp?
Any suggestions to you classmates for what to dress up as? Remember it needs to start with M.
This week we will officially begin our integrated unit…
We will be looking which cultures make up the world’s population, Australia’s population and our class’ population.
You will need this link for our last activity: http://spotlight.abs.gov.au/
Which of the statistics in the “If the world was a village of 100 people” video was surprising to you? Why?
Why do you think people from so many different cultures have migrated to Australia?
After looking at your ‘infographic’ from the Spotlight website, how many people in Australia share your cultural background?
Watch the video above and answer the questions on the sheet provided to you. This is a portfolio task, so make sure it is your BEST work. Don’t forget to write in full sentences 🙂
In reading groups and when you have some finishing off time over the last couple of weeks of term, we would like you to work on your Wellbeing Keynote. You started this at the beginning of the term. This Keynote will reflect what you have learnt over our Integrated unit: Wellbeing.
Some ideas for slides might be:
- A slide for each of the body systems from our rotations: Muscular System, Digestive System, Skeletal System & Nervous System. Reflect on the activities you participated in and any facts you learnt from each session.
- A slide each for the four healthy living rotations you participated in: Mental Health, Sleep, Nutrition & Physical Activity. Reflect on the activities you participated in and describe why each of these areas of health are important to our wellbeing.
- Research the answers to some of the questions you had at the beginning of the unit which you haven’t found out the answers to yet, eg. Why do we blink? Why do we get sick? etc.
- Anything else you have discovered this term that you find interesting or would like to share with others.
Watch the video below and then answer the questions as a quality comment to this post. If you get time, explore the ‘Related Information’ section next to the video on the BtN website.
1. Why are additives used in some food?
2. MSG (monosodium glutamate) is a…
a. Preservative, b. Colouring or c. Flavour enhancer ?
3.Why are some people concerned about additives in food?
4. Explain the eating program being trialled in a school.
5. Describe the health and behaviour differences the children noticed after
making changes to their diet.
6. Do you think there should be more information about additives on food
labels? Why or why not?
7. Are you concerned about additives in food? Why or why not?
8. What was surprising about this story?
Congratulations! You have now finished your narrative using the prompt ‘In the Box’. Now use all of the fantastic story writing skills you have learnt to use the website below. Click on a theme, spin the wheel and write your narrative based on the prompts the website provides you.
You can write your story on Pages but don’t forget to revise and edit your work before you publish it as a comment to this post. Good luck 🙂
1. Watch the BtN video below about Spinal Safety.
2. As a quality comment to this post, answer the following questions…
a) What is the spinal cord?
b) Which body system is it apart of?
c) What are 3 ways in which your spinal cord could be damaged?
3. Create a Comic Life poster promoting ways to keep your spine & spinal cord safe.
This year in Grade 5 we have been enjoying using the class blog to reflect on our learning and get excited about upcoming activities. We have learnt that ‘Quality Commenting’ is a very important aspect of blogging.
What does a quality comment include?
Why is quality commenting important?