A contraction is a shortened form of one or two words (one of which is usually a verb). In a contraction, an apostrophe takes the place of the missing letter or letters. Some contractions are: I’m (I am), can’t (cannot), how’s (how is), and Ma’am (Madam).
For example, “don’t” is a contraction that is short for “do not”; the apostrophe in “don’t” takes the place of the missing “o”. Another example is “o’clock,” a contraction “of the clock.” A less common example of a contraction is “jack-o’-lantern,” short for “jack-of-lantern”; in it, the apostrophe takes the place of the missing “f” in “of.”
Watch the following BtN video and answer the following questions on a Pages document. Remember to answer in full sentences and use your best spelling and punctuation. This task will go into your portfolio and demonstrate your understandings of how to watch a video and respond to questions.
1. A meteor recently exploded above what country?
2. Describe the damage that was caused by the meteor.
3. The force of the meteor that recently exploded was 20 times bigger than an ________ bomb.
4. How are asteroids, meteoroids and comets different?
5. What are meteoroids and asteroids generally made from?
6. Between what two planets would you normally find asteroids?
a. Mars and Jupiter
b. Earth and Mars
c. Saturn and Uranus
7. When a meteoroid enters the Earth’s atmosphere it’s called a _____________.
8. How are meteorites valuable to scientists?
9. Many scientists believe that a major collision between asteroids and the Earth 66 million years ago contributed to the extinction of what species?
10. What was surprising about this story?
…to the following students who have already completed the Victorian Premiers’ Reading Challenge. There are also many other students in 5M who are very close to being on this list – keep it up! Happy reading 🙂
Congratulations! You have now finished your narrative using the prompt ‘In the Box’. Now use all of the fantastic story writing skills you have learnt to use the website below. Click on a theme, spin the wheel and write your narrative based on the prompts the website provides you.