Comparing Graphs

Below I have created a number of graphs using the same data. The data used was how many points a football team scored in the first 6 weeks of the season.

When we collect data we need to make careful choices about to represent it and which graphs are appropriate to use.

Your task is to look at the graphs below and give reasons why particular graphs might or might not be helpful to answer a question about this data set. Good luck 🙂

Screen Shot 2015-10-12 at 2.38.44 pm

Bar Graph

Screen Shot 2015-10-12 at 2.38.50 pm

Pie Graph

Screen Shot 2015-10-12 at 2.39.12 pm

Line Graph

Screen Shot 2015-10-12 at 2.39.29 pm

Scatter Diagram

15 Comments on Comparing Graphs

1. Liam D
    October 14, 2015 at 9:26 am (2 years ago)

To Miss May
    The best graph is the bar graph because it’s easy to read and so strait forward on how it’s constructed.
    The worst graph is the scatter graph because I can not understand it.
    From Liam D

2. Kyle yi
    October 14, 2015 at 9:27 am (2 years ago)

To Miss May
    I think that the bar graph and pie graph are the best because they are the easiest to read. And probely the most simple graph the bar graph is the first graph you learn about so you know more about it. In the pie graph it is quite easy to tell how much percent or the fraction of it.
    The worst graph for awnsers game questions is the scatter graph because I have no idea how to use it and it doesn’t give you a lot of information.
    From Kyle Yi

3. lilgra15
    October 14, 2015 at 9:28 am (2 years ago)

Dear miss may
    The one that I think is the best is the bar graph because it’s easy to read it shows the week and the percentage and its set out neat so it is able to be read.
    I think that the worst one is the scatter graph because it’s hard to read and is really confusing and it doesn’t have the weeks

From Lily-Jade

4. jaspic15

Dear Miss May,
    I think that the best graph to use is the bar graph because it shows the information clearly and neatly.
    I think the graph that wouldn’t work is the scatter diagram, I think that because it doesn’t tell you the information about what the name is.

5. Aleecia

Dear Miss May,
    I think the line graph or the bar graph is the best choice of recording the data because they both show the progress of the points they scored and they both explain it more clearly than the other graphs. I think the worst graphs to record the points that were scored are the scatter graph and the pie graph because they don’t show the data very clearly and the pie graph doesn’t show the progress of the points they scored. They both don’t show the data very clearly and I get confused when I look at the scatter graph.
    From Aleecia

6. Kevin
    October 14, 2015 at 9:29 am (2 years ago)

Dear Miss May,
    I think the bar graph best shows the amount of points scored in the week. I think think this because it clearly states the six weeks and the amount of points. We can’t use the pie graph because we are not calculating how much each percentage is. The line graph only shows the changes happening over a amount of time, not best showing how much points. The worst one is the scatter graph , because it doesn’t tell the weeks of each point, it only shows from the smallest to the largest.
    From Kevin

7. jacbar15
    October 14, 2015 at 9:30 am (2 years ago)

Dear Miss May,
    I think that the bar graph is the best because it shows the deference between the weeks and it is clear to see how many points the team scored each week.
    I think the worst one was the scatter diagram because it did not tell use each week.
    From Jack (;

8. marboz15

Dear miss may
    I think the bar graph is the best because it is the most biggest one
    I think the dots are not the greatest because they don’t have lines
    From Marcus

9. Alexie

Dear Miss May,
    I think that the best graph to use for data is bar graph because you can see it the clearest. I also think that it is great because you can do many things with a bar graph like see it clearly, do any thing with it like different subjunctive with it. I think the worst one is the scatter graph because it doesn’t really give you much information at all, also it doesn’t give you the weeks all it gives you it the numbers and the X-axis. It doesn’t give you information. That’s what I think are the worst and best graphs for data.

10. elojon15

Dear Miss May,
    I think that learning this has been really helpful because I didn’t even know about some of these graphs.
    I think that the best graph is the bar graph because you actually get and idea as to how many points that the team scored and what week that they scored the points, I also think that you can see the difference between the to weeks and how many points were scored in one week and how many were scored in another.

I think that the worst graph was the scatter diagram because it woes not tell you what week that the amount of points were scored I also think that it doesn’t have a very accurate measurement because it says that it’s between 30 numbers.

This is what I think the best and worse graphs are.
    From Eloise.

11. louvan15
    October 14, 2015 at 9:31 am (2 years ago)

Dear Miss May,
    I am very interested to find out which graph does what!
    For this task, I think that the line graph is the best graph because it is very clear to show how many points each week got. Also, the line graph is the best graph because if you want to see the difference in points from each week, it shows that. You can just look from one week, then to the other week, and find out how much the difference is.

I think that the worst graph for the footy weeks is the scatter graph because it doesn’t show what week it is. It is very confusing because there are dots everywhere, and you don’t have any idea which week is which dot!
    From Louise

12. Ben H

Dear Miss May,
    There are 4 graphs here I think the best one is the Bar Graph because it shows the points on the graph and also the points they scored are on it.2. I think the worst is the Scatter Graph because it just is dots and it’s no shaded in so people will be confused.
    From Ben H

13. elltea15
    October 14, 2015 at 9:32 am (2 years ago)

Dear Miss May,
    I think that the bar graph is the best choice because it is the clearest by having the weeks and the points. I think that the pie graph is not the best one because it has percentages not points so in week 1 you have scored 24 and it might have the percentage of 34%
    From Ella

14. haybri15
    October 14, 2015 at 10:00 am (2 years ago)

Dear miss may,
    Bar graph: I think that the bar graph is the best because it show the weeks and the amount of points scored but at some times it is not the best graph.
    Scatter graph: The scatter graph is the worst of all the graphs because it dose not show the weeks it only show the amount and if you don’t know then it won’t be any hope.

15. erinakg15
    October 14, 2015 at 10:03 am (2 years ago)

Dear Miss May,
    I think the bar graph is the best graph to use for this subject, because it says the weeks unlike the scatter graph its also easy to read. The worst one I have to say is the scatter graph it doesn’t say the weeks.
    From Erin