GRA prediction

We are very excited to begin the Global Read Aloud here in 5M and what’s even more exciting is we are going to be connecting with another class from overseas (stay tuned for more information!). Each week we will have a chance share our thoughts about the book, whilst also getting to know a bit more about each other and our schools 🙂

The book we have chosen to read is Fish, by LS Matthews. Below you will see a picture of the book’s cover and the text from the blurb. Your task is to write a prediction about the story. Make sure you look closely at the front image and read all the the text so you can justify your prediction. Think about the story’s characters, setting and plot. Good luck!

amazon.com

amazon.com

My story starts the day that my parents told me we must leave our adopted home forever. Because of the soldiers and the drought we barely had enough to eat and we could no longer stay to help the people in our village.

Right before we were leaving I saw a fish in a small brown puddle and I knew I had to take it with me. The journey would be hard to get across the mountains—to the safety of the border and the people there who could help us. Yet when I put the fish in the pot I never realized what we would have to face. It never occurred to me to leave Fish behind.

A subtle and sophisticated exploration of life, the strength of humanity, and survival in an unforgiving world, Fish is a story that will teach those who doubt that, when hope is almost extinguished, miracles can happen.

24 Comments on GRA prediction

1. Nick
    October 5, 2015 at 11:33 am (2 years ago)

Dear Miss May
    I predict that the story will be about a magical fish and a boy but then the boy will have second thoughts about bringing him so he leaves him there. Then he finds out what it can do then the story is about him trying to get it because of what it says in the blurb and what the cover looks like.
    From Nick

2. will.m

Dear Miss May,
    I predict that that a boy never gave up on trying to keep the fish alive because it said In the blurb that it never occurred to me to leave the fish behind. It sounds like the boy never had doubt in the fish because he kept on going. I believe that this was quiet a long time ago because there was a war going on.
    From Will.M

3. louvan15
    October 5, 2015 at 11:38 am (2 years ago)

Dear Miss May,
    I think that the brown and slightly green hills in the book cover, is where the drought is happening. I think the Fish is going to go on a long journey with the person who found him. I think that because it said in the blurb that, ‘I would never realise what we have to face’. I also think that the main characters are the Fish, and the person who found him, because there is a huge fish on the cover of the book, and in the blurb, the writing is in 1st person. At the start of the book, I think that there is a war going on, because in the blurb it said that they have to move from their adopted home because of soldiers, and soldiers fight in the war.
    From Louise.

4. Kyan
    October 5, 2015 at 11:43 am (2 years ago)

Dear Miss May,
    I predict that the fish will be the main character because of the title of the book, Fish. I also predict that the family will make is the where ever they are going because it says miracles can happen, also I predict that the fish will some how save the family because the boy/girl saved him and small things can make a change. I finally predict the fish will become the boy/girl’s pet because he/she said it never occurred to he/her to leave Fish behinds.
    From Kyan.

5. Kevin
    October 6, 2015 at 9:39 am (2 years ago)

Dear Miss May,
    I predict this story is about a war is going on because they spoke about soldiers in the blurb. There are going on an journey to find water and food across th mountains, as it said in the blurb again. This story is set in the mountain areas as it showed in the picture. One soldier saw a fish and took it with him in the blurb. I think they’re going to an adventure going through the mountain ranges. This soldier is very brave too, because he is taking a fish in the mountains. It all says in the blurb.
    From Kevin

6. elojon15
    October 6, 2015 at 9:41 am (2 years ago)

Dear Miss May,
    I’m really excited to start the global read aloud. Here are my predictions.
    I predict that the main characters in this book are parents, a child and a fish. The reason I predict this is because in the blurb it say ” my story starts when my parents told me that we must leave our adopted home forever.” I also predict this because on the front cover there is a fish. Another prediction of mine is that the story might be set in the mountains because in the background on the front cover there is a fish and there are mountains in the background. I also predict that there is a Severe drought because in the blurb it says that there is a drought, the reason that I predict that it is sever is because that have to move out of there house and the village. My last prediction is that the Child is that person who discovers this random fish and that the fish becomes one of the main character, the reason that I predict this is because there is a fish on the front cover.
    I’m really excited to start the global read aloud and meet the kids.
    From Eloise.

7. edegra15
    October 6, 2015 at 9:42 am (2 years ago)

Dear Miss May,
    I am really looking forward to reading this book.
    Here is my prediction.
    I predict that the fish is the main character because it is on the front cover and the book is called Fish. I also think the fish is telling the storey because the blurb is in 1st person. I think there is going to be another character because in the blurb it starts with My Story. I think that the other character is poor because they have to move out of there house. Another her reason why I think they are poor is because they have to move across the mountains to find a new home. In the blurb it says that they had a drought and a war that’s another reason they might of had to move.
    I can’t wait until we start reading this book!
    From Eden.

8. Connor
    October 6, 2015 at 9:43 am (2 years ago)

To Miss May,
    I predict that the main charecter is a boy/girl whose parents leave there home and finds a fish about to die because of a drought so he/she saves the fish and it causes something like good luck. I knew it was about a person because the blurb is written in first person. I predicted that the fish had to do something special because it’s the title of the book and there is also a picture of it on the front cover. I predict the main idea of the book is the fish and the person who found it and Their adventures.
    From Connor.

9. elltea15
    October 6, 2015 at 9:47 am (2 years ago)

Dear Miss May,
    I am really looking forward to the global read aloud!

Prediction: I predict from looking at the front cover and the blurb the main characters will be a fish and a little girl/boy, I also think that a little girl/boy will be talking about his journal because I. The blurb it starts of like this, My story starts…
    I think the family that the little girl/boys family is quite poor because it said the soldiers came, there was a drought and they didn’t have enough food. I predict that they will be in the mountains as it says in the blurb.
    I can’t wait to start reading Fish!
    From Ella

10. Name*
    October 6, 2015 at 10:02 am (2 years ago)

Dear miss may
    I think that this’s book will be about a little girl that runs away from home and her only company is a fish and that she loses the fish along the way and goes everywhere back to find the fish and years later she finds the fish living with a family
    From lily

11. Name*
    October 6, 2015 at 10:03 am (2 years ago)

Dear miss may
    From lily-Jade

12. thedun15
    October 6, 2015 at 10:08 am (2 years ago)

Dear Miss.May,
    Here is what I think the book will be about.
    A little girl found a fish in brown puddle she had to take the fish with her. She was going to the mountains because of the soldiers and the drought.
    From Theo

13. Deakin
    October 6, 2015 at 10:09 am (2 years ago)

Dear Miss May,
    I predict that the boy might be the main Character and the fish is a side character that has an over amount of speech or thoughts(it could be thoughts due to it being a fish.) I predict that it will take days to get to their destination and they might be worn down before they get there. I predict they will survive the journey and live life to the fullest
    From Deakin

14. Caitlyn
    October 6, 2015 at 10:16 am (2 years ago)

Dear Miss May,
    I think that this book will be about a boy that traveled from home to ge away from the drought, because in the first part he says that he is going across the border and across the montion in there car. I think that the writer is writing in 1 person. Also when he picks up the fish I think that thinghs go wrong and they carnt get across the border, because when it says that he dosnt think of puting it back, I recon its writen like that as he reget picking it up and when he gets there no one wonts to help him. Also I think that the boy gets sick and the fish gives him hope and survival, because in the end part it says survival and that miracles can happen.
    From caity

15. Name*
    October 6, 2015 at 10:19 am (2 years ago)

Dear miss may the reason I think this is because it said on the back that she never thought of leaving the fish behind and also it said that the person had to leave
    From lily- Jad

16. liaplu15

Dear Miss May,
    I predict that the fish will haunt the kids that left the fish and will fly and come follow the kid. The kids and his family will go on a hike and the kid will leave at night and he will see the fish in a distance so he runs back in side. But the fish will scare away the solders and the kid will help the fish. But the soliders will come back for some more. The fish will talk and scare tham off once and for all. It will be about a talking fish and his scaring. The fish will magic and scary. I reckon this will happen because in the blurb the soliders attack the village so that’s why this may happen.
    From Liam P

17. Name*
    October 6, 2015 at 10:22 am (2 years ago)

Dear Miss.May,
    I think this because soldiers fight in wars and that’s why they went to the border to find help.
    From each Theodora

18. Marcus
    October 6, 2015 at 10:25 am (2 years ago)

THE FISH
    The characters in this story are- the person telling the story and his or her parents. I think it is a boy because it is more likely for a boy to pick up a fish than a girl.

The setting might be in a hot country that has had no rain and has been at war because there are soldiers.

The plot is about a boy taking a fish from a puddle to a new life away from the war. I think the fish will give them luck. I think it will be hard for the boy to keep the fish.

I will look forward to this book being read to the class.

19. jaspic15
    October 6, 2015 at 10:28 am (2 years ago)

Dear Mis May,
    I predict that the main character is the kid who finds a fish, I predict that because in the blurb it says that the kid and there parents leave there village and that the kid finds a fish in a muddy puddle.

20. benhun15
    October 7, 2015 at 9:20 am (2 years ago)

Dear Miss May,
    I predict that this book is about a fish because a fish is on the front cover and the name of the book is fish I also predict that it will be on a mountain because there’s a mountain on the front of the book and I predict that the child will stay back and help the village because the village is poor and doesn’t have any food or water.
    From Ben H

21. haybri15
    October 7, 2015 at 9:21 am (2 years ago)

Dear miss may,
    I read the blurb and I think that the book is going to be in 1st person because that there is my, me and we. I also predict that it’s going to be about a fish that gets left behind when his/her family leaves forever and the fish never see his/her family ever again but after day go by some one finds the fish and takes care of the fish and after more days go by the person finds a place to set the fish free and the fish finds a new family again.

22. Will
    October 7, 2015 at 9:29 am (2 years ago)

Dear Miss May,
    I perdit that there’s a boy or girl that lived in a village and they didn’t have that much money and food. And they had to move because of food and droughts. I perdit this because it said it in a the blurb.
    From Will.S

23. Alexie

Dear Miss May,

I predict that this story is going to be about a big orange fish who gets adopted and the big orange fish saw a fish in a big brown puddle while he was moving and I also predict that these soldiers will come and hunt the fish down for some strange reason. I also predict that the big orange fish will have a great adventure. I predict this because it says in the blurb that there a going to be soldiers also about the big orange fish it has a picture on the front cover of this book and it did mention the fishes are going to be moving. Also that’s the fish will be seeing this fish in a brown puddle. It is, going to be wounderfull journey for the big orange fish.
    From Alexie.

24. erinakg15
    October 7, 2015 at 9:33 am (2 years ago)

Dear Miss May,
    I think the book Fish, is about a boy who finds a fish and goes on an adventure or a journey with his family. I think this is because, on the front cover their seems to be a drought on one side because it’s oranger and on other side is greener .
    The blub seems to be written in 1st person so I think the book will be in 1st person.
    From Erin