BtN: Ocean Rubbish

For those of you who are at school on Thursday, here is a BtN video for you to complete. It fits in very well with out CBL challenge – ‘reduce your impact on the environment’.

Watch the following BtN and answer the questions as a comment to this post. Don’t forget to answer in full sentences and check you spelling and punctuation.

www.abc.net.au/btn/story/s4301070.htm http://www.abc.net.au/btn/story/s4301070.htm%5B/caption%5D
1. Summarise this BtN story into your own words.
2. How many pieces of plastic end up in the world’s oceans every day?
3. How does plastic get into the ocean?
4. What can happen when plastics stay in the water for a long time?
5. What are microplastics?
6. Why are they harmful?
7. What is the Great Pacific Garbage Patch?
8. Explain Boyan Slat’s idea to clean up the garbage patch.
9. What can be done to prevent plastics from reaching the oceans?
10. What do you do to help the amount of rubbish entering the ocean?

3 Comments on BtN: Ocean Rubbish

1. nicsto15
    September 3, 2015 at 10:13 am (2 years ago)

Dear Miss May
    1.The video was about pieces of plastics in the ocean and harming the animals in the ocean
    2. 3 and a half million pieces of plastic are in the ocean
    3.The plastic gets to the ocean by the water ways by the streets
    4.If the plastic stays in the water for a long time it turns into little micro-plastics
    5.Micro-plastic is little bits of plastic that have broken down from a plastic
    6.They are so harmful because of animals mistaking them for food and they can also get tangled in them
    7.The Great Pacific Garbage Patch is one of the biggest garbage dump in the ocean.
    8.He’s idea was to get a floating barrier that goes for 100km to trap the garbage and the put towers to suck up there garbage
    9.You can stop garbage going in the ocean by trowing the rubbish in the bin.
    10.If you see rubbish hold it till you get to the bin and place the rubbish in there
    From Nick

2. elltea15
    September 3, 2015 at 10:26 am (2 years ago)

Dear Miss May,
    1. My summary of this BTN video is: the BTN video talked about all the rubbish that goes into the sea and how a 16 year old helped stop it.
    2. More than 3 and a 1/2 million pieces of rubbish ends up in the ocean each day.
    3. Plastic gets in the ocean by being left on the paths and on the ground.
    4. When you leave plastic in the ocean for a long time they can break down into micro-plastics.
    5. Micro-plastics are little pieces of plastic that break down from big plastic after about 100 years.
    6. Micro-plastics are harmful because creatures may mistake them for food.
    7. The Great Pacific Patch is a place were lots and lots and lots of rubbish ends up. It is the biggest ocean rubbish dump.
    8. Boyan’s idea was to make a big tube that stops rubbish because rubbish floats and have a filter to suck up the rubbish.
    9. You can prevent rubbish by putting it in the bin even if it isn’t yours.
    10. The thing I can do is to put all the rubbish I can see in the correct bins.
    From Ella

3. elojon15
    September 3, 2015 at 10:27 am (2 years ago)

Dear Miss May,
    I really liked this video and I learnt a lot here are my answers. 1. My summary of this BTN is that when you litter it can fly through the streets and eventually can be washed into the water ways.
    2. Every day three and a half million pieces of plastic end up in our oceans each day.
    3. Plastic gets into the oceans by when people litter it flows through the streets and eventually if it rains the rubbish gets washed down drains and appears in the ocean.
    4. When plastic stays in the water it can sometimes turn into little pieces called micro plastics.
    5. Micro plastics are pieces of rubbish that stay in the water for a long time and eventually become tint pieces of rubbish.
    6. They are harmful because sea creatures can mistake them for food. When a sea creature eats one it will choke and even die.
    7. The great pacific garbage patch is a giant part of the Pacific Ocean bigger than New South Wales filled with floating plastic.
    8. Boyan Stat’s idea to clean up all the rubbish is to create a huge tube that was in the shape of a V and it will have like filters and the can suck up all of the rubbis.
    9. To prove that plastics from reaching our oceans we can either pick up any rubbish and put it in the bin or in some dams there are these filters that can suck up all rubbish before it hits the oceans or creeks.
    10. The thing that I do to help the ocean is I wait until I see a bin and then I put my rubbish in the correct bin, or I pick any rubbish around the streets.
    From Eloise