What fractions can you see?

Write down as many fractions as they can ‘see’, and then explain your answers.

Screen Shot 2014-08-11 at 9.32.38 am Screen Shot 2014-08-11 at 9.32.46 amhttp://www.education.vic.gov.au/school/teachers/teachingresources/discipline/maths/continuum/Pages/fracideas25b.aspx

14 Comments on What fractions can you see?

1. Lily-jade
    August 13, 2015 at 9:34 am (2 years ago)

Dear miss may
    I the first o e I can see
    Five different fractions
    1. Half
    2. Whole
    3. Quater
    4. Two quarters
    5. Two halves
    In the second shape I can see
    1. Three quarters
    2.whole
    3. Two eights
    4.halve
    5. One quarter
    From lily

2. alecol15
    August 13, 2015 at 9:38 am (2 years ago)

Dear Miss May,
    1st shape: In the first shape I can see one quarter coloured in. I know this is a quarter because if you divide something equally into four, it’s called a quarter. I can also see a half in the first shape. I know this is a half because it takes up half of the square.
    2nd shape: In the second shape I can see 2 quarters coloured in yellow, 1 eighth coloured red, and another quarter coloured in green. I know there’s 3/4 because they are all equal and I know if you take away 1/4 from a whole you get 3/4. I know there’s an eighth because if you divide a quarter into two you get and eighth. There is also another eighth but it’s not coloured in.
    These are all the fractions I found in the two shapes.
    From Aleecia

3. Theo
    August 13, 2015 at 9:39 am (2 years ago)

Hi Miss.May,
    Circle~ In the circle I can see 7/8. I can see 7/8 because the red is halved so one answer is 7/8.
    Square~ In the square I can see 1/4.

4. jacbar15

Dear Miss May,

I can see One quarter in the square because it is shaded in I can also see a half in square because there is no line going through it.
    I can see three quarters in the circle because they are halved halfs I can also see two eighths because they are quarters just halved in to eighths three quarters + two eighths = one whole
    From Jack

5. Ben H

Dear Miss May,
    The first shape is halved and the halved again which makes it a quarter. The second shape is 3 quarters 2 eights which makes the whole.
    From Ben H

6. nicsto15
    August 13, 2015 at 9:40 am (2 years ago)

Dear Miss May
    In the first one I can see a quarter of the square coloured in but I can also see three quarters of the square white.
    In the cycle I can see that it has a half in yellow in because the yellow ends right in the middle.
    In the cycle I can see three quarters because there are four different section and there full triangles are coloured in

7. kyamar15

Dear Miss May,
    In the square I can see a quarter shaded blue. I know this is a quarter because I can fit four of them in the shape. I can see a white half in this shape, I can tell its a half because you can fit two in. I can also see three quarters white because if you take away one quarter from a whole you get three quarters.

In the circle I can see a half or two quarters that are yellow, I know that they are the same because they both look the same. I can see one eighth shaded in red. I know it is an eighth because it is a half of a quarter. I can see the seven eighths are shaded in. I know this because if I half the three quarters and plus the one eighth, I get seven eighth.
    From Kyan

8. louvan15

Dear Miss May,
    On the first fraction, I can see 1 quarter, because I know that there are 4 different parts on a square and 1 of them is 1 quarter. I can also see 1 half, because the square is split down the middle and that makes it a half. There is also 3 quarters of the square not coloured in, because there is 4 quarters, and only one is coloured in.
    For the circle, I can see 1 half coloured in yellow, because it is split down the middle. I can also see 1 eighth because the circle has eighths inside. Also, 2 eighths and 3 quarters, equals one whole because they all fit into one circle. There is 1 quarter coloured in green, and that is because the circle is split into 4. Also, 2 eighths equals 1 quarter, because if you make them into a circle, it makes only 1 quarter.
    From Louise.

9. elltea15
    August 13, 2015 at 9:41 am (2 years ago)

Dear Miss May,
    The first fraction that I can see is in the square, it is a quarter because it is coloured in and divided in to half and then half again. I can also see in a half because it is divided evenly in to halfs. I can see that when you put all the squares together it will make a hole.
    For the circle some of the things I can see is the 2 quarters that are the yellow because when you put them together it will make a half. I can also see that part that is coloured in red has been divided in half again.
    From Ella

10. benmcb15

Dear Miss May,
    I think the bottom one is a 8th because the red is shaded in and it’s half of a quarter and that makes the into 8ths.

Four 16ths + 3quarters = 1 whole

For the top one I can only see 1 possible fraction and that’s 1 quarter.
    For the circle there’s lots of possible ways like halfs, quarters, 8ths, 16ths etc
    From Ben M

11. Lauren

Dear Miss May,
    I can see that the square is in half and in quarters. The blue square is a quarter.
    I can see that the circle has many different fractions the 2 yellow bits are 2 quarters the green bit is a quarter and the red bit is an eighth.
    From Lauren

12. jaspic15
    August 13, 2015 at 9:42 am (2 years ago)

Dear Miss May,
    On the first shape I can see 1 quarter, I know it’s a quarter because there is four parts and in one of those parts its coloured in blue.

On the second shape I can see a half from the yellow, I know it’s a half because there is four sections and the yellow takes up half of it.
    On the second shape I can also see 1 eighth, I know it’s an eighth because an eighth is half of a quarter so I half all the quarters.
    I can also see a quarter on the second shape from the green, I know it’s a quarter because there is four sections and one is shaded.

13. Kevin

To Miss May,
    In the first square shape I can see a 1/2 because a 1/2 is half a whole. Also there is a quarter because a 1/4 is half a half. I could see 3/4in that shape because there is a half and a quarter. By adding them together you get 3/4.

In the circle I can see a 1/2 because by adding the two quarters together, you get a 1/2. There is a quarter because half a 1/2 is a quarter. Also there is a 1/8 in red because I know that an 1/8 is half a 1/4. I can see 3/4 quarters by adding the three quarters together

From Kevin

14. Liam D
    August 13, 2015 at 9:43 am (2 years ago)

To Miss May
    I see a quarter in the first fraction because there’s 1 coloured out of four.
    I see 3/4 because there’s only on quarter left.
    I see one half because the whole shape is cut in two which is a half.
    I see 2/4-1/2 in the second shape because there’s half the circle is coloured yellow.
    I can see a quarter because if you half the shape and half it again it’s a quarter.
    I can see 1/8 because the red is half a quarter.