Integrated – Cultural Diversity

This week we will officially begin our integrated unit…

We will be looking which cultures make up the world’s population, Australia’s population and our class’ population.

You will need this link for our last activity: http://spotlight.abs.gov.au/

Which of the statistics in the “If the world was a village of 100 people” video was surprising to you? Why?

Why do you think people from so many different cultures have migrated to Australia?

After looking at your ‘infographic’ from the Spotlight website, how many people in Australia share your cultural background?

22 Comments on Integrated – Cultural Diversity

1. Alexie
    May 11, 2015 at 10:13 am (2 years ago)

Dear Miss May,
    1. The video was surprising because all those poor people don’t have things like us. I just feel greatfull.
    2. People have migrated because they have wars and earthquts. They want to find a better place to live.
    3. The amount of people that share my background is 69.83%.
    From Alexie

2. Theodora
    May 11, 2015 at 10:16 am (2 years ago)

To miss. May,
    I think so many people have migrated to Australia is. because they will have a better life in Australia.
    About one in four people share my background.
    From theo!

3. Lily-jade
    May 11, 2015 at 10:18 am (2 years ago)

Dear Miss May
    1,that if you have a bed,fridge,closet and a roof your richer than lots of people
    2,to live in a better country without war or the country they came from is poor
    3, 69.83% of people share my background

From Lily-jade

4. Kyle yi
    May 11, 2015 at 10:19 am (2 years ago)

To Miss May
    In the video if the world was a village of 100 people. I thought the most suppriseing thing was that if you had a bed and slept under a roof you were richer than 75% of the world.

I think most people form many countries migrate to Australia because of a better job war or better education or natural disasters .
    Looking at my infographic form the spotlight website there are is a 1 in 1 189 chance that I. Meet someone in Australia that has the same background as me

5. Lauren
    May 11, 2015 at 10:19 am (2 years ago)

Dear Miss May,
    1. The thing that suprised me was that if you have a roof over your head, a bed to sleep in, a f idge to put food in and a closet to out your clothes in you are richer that 75% of the world.
    2. I Think that so many people have migrated to Australia because thay want a better life.
    3. There is one in four people that share that same culture.
    From Lauren

6. Ben H
    May 11, 2015 at 10:20 am (2 years ago)

Dear Miss May,
    1. I was surprised because there were only 12 Europeans and 61 Asians. 2. Because people from different countries have wars and we don’t have wars and for them here is a safe place. 3. How many people share it is 1 in 5,074 people. From Ben H

7. LiamP
    May 11, 2015 at 10:20 am (2 years ago)

Dear Miss May,
    1. There was 61 Asian’s but we only have 2 Asian’s in our grade. But Asia is a big place.
    2. There was a lot of tornadoes In Japan and China or Evan war. That is why lots of people move to Australia.
    3. There is one in four people share my background. My mum is Australian and my dad is Australian.
    From Liam.P.

8. Aleecia
    May 11, 2015 at 10:21 am (2 years ago)

Dear Miss May,
    1. The statistics that I found surprising were that if you have a bed, fridge and a roof over your head you’re richer than 75% of the world.
    2. I think people have migrated from their countries to Australia because Australia is a safe country and there might be war in their country or they might not have a healthy lifestyle their.
    3. After looking at my infographic from the spotlight website, I found out that only 1 in 524,578 people share my cultural background.
    From Aleecia

9. Kyan
    May 11, 2015 at 10:21 am (2 years ago)

Dear Miss May,
    It surprised me that 61 out of 100 people lived in Asia because I thought that lots of people come from Africa.
    I think a lot of people migrated to Australia because we are a lucky county and lots of other county’s are not so lucky.
    1 in 1983 people have my same background.
    From Kyan
    PS That talking man is so cool, why won’t to work on iPads.

10. Ben m
    May 11, 2015 at 10:21 am (2 years ago)

Dear Miss May,
    The thing that surprised me in the video was how that village spent more money on military things and less for food and water.

People move to different countries because war,natural disasters, jobs,education,better countries and food and water.

1 in 4 people share the same background as me
    From Ben M

11. Kevin
    May 11, 2015 at 10:22 am (2 years ago)

To Miss May,
    1. It was surprising to know that if you have a fridge, a closet and a bed, you are better than 75% of the one hundred people.
    2. Lots of people migrate to Australia because of war, big natural disasters, and for a better life.
    3. There are one in twenty nine of the people in Australia share my background.

12. Eloise
    May 11, 2015 at 10:22 am (2 years ago)

Dear Miss May,
    I really enjoyed doing this activity here are my answers.
    1. I think that the most fascinating part of the video was that if you have a fridge, a closet, a bed and a roof then you are richer than 75% of people.
    2. I think that there are many reasons that Pe have migrated to Australia such as there a better jobs in Australia, there might be wars in other countries desieses and more.
    3. After looking army infographic I dicovered that 1 in 4 people in Australia share the same background. I found that really facinating and a lot of the infomation.
    I liked this activity. From Eloise

13. Louise
    May 11, 2015 at 10:22 am (2 years ago)

Dear Miss May,
    From the video I thought that 14 people can’t read was surprising because in your life you read a lot of things like labels and books.
    So many different people have migrated to Australia because there might have been war in their country.
    The amount of people that share my same background are 1 in 272,783.
    From Louise.

14. Eden
    May 11, 2015 at 10:23 am (2 years ago)

Dear Miss May,
    I really enjoyed watching the video and doing the activity and here are my answers.
    1. I think the most fascinating thing in the video was that if you had a fridge, a closet, a bed and a roof you are richer than 75% of people in the world.
    2. I think so many people have migrated from different countries because of natural disaster, diseases, and to get better jobs and better health.
    3. After looking back at my infographic I discovered that 1 in 9,870 people from Australia share the same background as me.
    The activity was really fun and I found out a lot of interesting facts about me and my family.
    From Eden.

15. Jack B
    May 11, 2015 at 10:23 am (2 years ago)

Dear Miss May,

1. The thing that I found surprising was that if you have a roof over your head a bed a fridge and a closet you are richer than 75% of the world.
    2. I think so many people have immigrated to Australia because of wars.
    3. About 1 in 6 people share my back ground.

Regards Jack

16. Erin
    May 11, 2015 at 10:23 am (2 years ago)

Dear Miss May,
    1. I was surprised when it said sixty one percent will be Asian which is more than half.
    2. Well I think the reason why people migrated to Australia was because of wars.
    3. My infographic showed that one in 1,238 people share the same background as me.
    From Erin.

17. Nick
    May 11, 2015 at 10:24 am (2 years ago)

Dear Miss May
    1. In the statistics pice I found surprising that if you have a bed, somewhere to put your clothes, a fridge and a roof you are richer then 71% of the world
    2. I think that so many people have migrated to Australia because to get better jobs and have a better life
    3. 1in 222 people share my background
    From Nick

18. Will.M
    May 11, 2015 at 10:24 am (2 years ago)

Dear Miss May,
    1.The statistics video where if you had a refrigerator, wardrobe, bed and a roof over your head then you are richer than 70% of the world surprised me.
    2. I think a lot of people migrated to Australia because of wars in there country, laws and a free country.
    3. After looking at the infographic I realised that 1 in 4 people share my cultural background.

From Will.M

19. Caitlyn
    May 11, 2015 at 10:25 am (2 years ago)

Dear Miss May,
    1.I found the vidio surprising because, you don’t relise how easy the vidio can show how lucky people like us are. Also how many people come from diffrent counternets.
    2. I think that they have all migrated to Astralia because, some thinghs could be happening in there contery, or it is just not very safe for you also, they could end just be looking for a change in there life style.
    3.The people that share my culture backround are 1 in 4 wich is pretty cool.
    From Caitlyn.

20. Name*
    May 11, 2015 at 10:27 am (2 years ago)

Dear Miss May,
    I was very surprise that 61 Asia 12 Europe 8 N.America 5 S.America 15 Africa 1 Oceanio that was very surprising.
    I think that they immigranted to Austrialia because theres lots of wars or not that mush food and water. There are 1 in 5

21. Jason
    May 11, 2015 at 10:27 am (2 years ago)

Dear Miss May,
    The statistics that I found surprising was if someone has a fridge, bed, place to store there clothes and a roof is richer than 75% of the world.

I think that so many people have migrated to Australia To get away from wars or get a job.

I am 1 in 13,235 people that have the same background as me from Australia.

22. Ella
    May 11, 2015 at 10:28 am (2 years ago)

Dear Miss May,
    I am surprised about my census because I never new how many people are the same age as me and have lots of things in common.
    I think lots of people have migrated because there have been lots of natural disasters.
    Lots of people have the same background as me because everyone is different.
    From Ella