BtN – Food Additives

Watch the video below and then answer the questions as a quality comment to this post. If you get time, explore the ‘Related Information’ section next to the video on the BtN website.

http://www.abc.net.au/btn/story/s3340159.htm http://www.abc.net.au/btn/story/s3340159.htm%5B/caption%5D
1. Why are additives used in some food?
2. MSG (monosodium glutamate) is a…
a. Preservative, b. Colouring or c. Flavour enhancer ?
3.Why are some people concerned about additives in food?
4. Explain the eating program being trialled in a school.
5. Describe the health and behaviour differences the children noticed after
making changes to their diet.
6. Do you think there should be more information about additives on food
labels? Why or why not?
7. Are you concerned about additives in food? Why or why not?
8. What was surprising about this story?

26 Comments on BtN – Food Additives

1. Deakin
    March 16, 2015 at 11:52 am (3 years ago)

Dear Miss May
    1. Additives are used for colour
    2. MSG is a flavour enhancer
    3. It could make kids restless
    4. Kids are eating foods without additives
    5. They stopped arguing and being itchy
    6. I think there should be more information about additives on food packets
    7. I’m not concerned because it has harmed enyone
    8. The surpriseing thing was that additives are responsible for giving food colour

From Deakin

2. Liam D
    March 16, 2015 at 11:54 am (3 years ago)

To Miss May
    1.Additives are used in foods to make kids buy it.
    2.B colouring or c.
    3.Additives are making unhealthy food more attractive.
    4.School wants kids to cut off all the food with additives in it.
    5.Some children said they can sleep well and also not get into fights with their friends.
    6.There shouldn’t be that much info about additives because there’s not that much to say about them.
    7.I don’t want additives in foods because it makes lots of kids want to eat it.
    8.I was surprised that how much food has additives.
    From Liam D.

3. Alexie
    March 16, 2015 at 11:58 am (3 years ago)

dear miss may,
    1. The reason why additives are in your food is because it’s MSG. And it keeps the food good for a while
    2. MSG monosodium glutamate is a… Education for kids and is reeling them to start trying to eat a bit better.
    3. The reason why people are concerned that additives are in there food because… They think their going to think that they will get food poisoning.
    4. Well the eating program is a education that try and help the kids not to eat food with sugar in it.
    5. The behaviour and differences the kiss have noticed in eating food with not as much sugar in it is… Very different to them because they are used to acting all crazy and now their being more like thier age.
    6. I do not think there should be more informarion about the things in the food because there is already enough information.
    7. Well I am not concerned about it because… Iv been earing food my hole life and I havnt any effects.
    8. The thing that was so surprising is that they just coulor ice- cream to make it look nice it doesn’t have a flavour. Like it does but it’s not like a rainbow flavour.
    From Alexie

4. Ben H
    March 16, 2015 at 12:01 pm (3 years ago)

Dear Miss May,
    1. It wants to persuade kids to buy it.
    2. MSG is a number on the product 602 and it is colouring.
    3. If kids get addicted to it and keep it eating it they will get fat.
    4. To stop the kids eating fat foods everyday and convince them to eat healthy.
    5. The children said they were getting better sleep and not fighting with there friends.
    6.Yes because children may read and they know what they are eating.
    7.No im not because if I eat it and then I do sport I burn it off.
    8. Addivites I didn’t know they were in foods. From Ben H

5. Jason
    March 16, 2015 at 12:09 pm (3 years ago)

Dear Miss May,
    1.Addictive are used in food to make the product last longer.
    2.MSG is b. flavour enhancer.
    3.Some people are concerned about addictive in food because there bad for you.
    4.The eating program at the school is to see what happens if you don’t eat to many addictives.
    5.The health and behaviour differences are that the kids aren’t crazy.
    6.I think there should be labels of all the addictives on food because no one knows what the numbers mean.
    7.Im not considered about addictives in food because ill work it off by doing all my sports.
    8.The fact that vanilla ice-cream is actually bubble gum ice-cream is supriseing.

6. Erin
    March 16, 2015 at 12:13 pm (3 years ago)

Dear miss may,
    1. additives Are used to make food colourful so you can buy it.
    2.mg is Preservative.
    3. People are just concerned about kids going crazy after eating junk food.
    4. The eating program being trialled in a school is getting kids to have more heathy foods
    5. Kid 1 said she was sleeping more kid 2 said she stopped having arguments with her friends kid 3 said he used to be itchy on his arms and legs and now he has stop being itchy
    6. I think there should be more information about additive on the labels

7. Lily-jade
    March 16, 2015 at 12:31 pm (3 years ago)

Dear Miss May
    1To make it look nicer so people will bye the food.
    2It’s a flavour enhancer.
    3Because it can make you hyper and some people can’t have them.
    4Kids at school have been trying a thing were they have food with no additives and are talking about the differences that have acured.
    5A girl said that she had fights with her friends and now there calmer.
    6Yes I do because some people might not be able to have them.
    7Yes I am because they should label them and I had no idea.
    8That some company’s would not label all the products in the food it’s just not right.

8. Theodora
    March 16, 2015 at 12:36 pm (3 years ago)

To Miss.May,
    1. Food additives are used to make the product look good.
    2. The chemical MSG is a falvour enhancer.
    3. People are concerned because it affects there sleep, mental health and you can get itchy.
    4. The eating program is the school is baning unhealth food.
    5. Describe the health and behaviour differences the children noticed after: itchy, relationships with there friends and sleep are all better.
    6. Do you think there should be more information about additives on food yes.
    8. What is surprising about this story I didn’t know that MSG was a flavour enhancer.
    From Theodora

9. Kyle yi

To Miss May
    1. Additives are added to some food to give it colour or make it taste better.
    2.MSG.is a additive that makes your food taste better.
    3. Some people are concerned about additives because they don’t think it is all that healthy.
    4.The eating program is about studying food with additives and not eating them.
    5.The video says that children having too much additives are hyper active.
    6.I think they should be more infomation on food about additives because people don’t notice it and don’t know what it means.
    7. I am a tiny bit concerned about additives in food because it is not good about for your health(not that I eat a lot of Lollies anyways.)

10. Kevin
    March 16, 2015 at 12:38 pm (3 years ago)

To Miss May,
    1. Additives are used in foods to look nice and it attracts you want to eat it.
    2. the meaning of MSG is a flavour enhancer.
    3. People a re concerned about additives because some of the people think it might not be healthy.
    4. The program runner by the Food Intolerance are trying to encourage people not to eat th additives.
    5. The difference was that they slept better, not itchy and some kinds of arguments.
    6. There should just be a little information about it. Because if you tell them it is not healthy, so people might not buy it anymore. You might ending up having nothing to do its it.
    7. I am not really concerned about it and I could just eat less of it.
    8. What was surprising was that if there weren’t any additives, some foods might look weird to eat.

11. Theodora
    March 16, 2015 at 12:39 pm (3 years ago)

To Miss.May,
    7. Now that I know I am a little bit but not a lot.
    From Theodora

12. Ella
    March 16, 2015 at 12:41 pm (3 years ago)

Dear Miss May,
    1. Additives are put in food to make the food look good.
    2. MSC is a flavour enhancer.
    3. People are getting worried about having additives because it makes an effect on their sleep, mental health and they can have reactions.
    4. The school is stopping the students from bringing junk food to school
    5. The students have realised that their relationship has been better, sleep an d itchiness .
    6. I think there should be more information on additives.
    7. I am concerned about additives because it can effect you.
    8. I was surprised to learn that the school has stopped the additives in the school and it has had an effect
    From Ella

13. Lauren
    March 18, 2015 at 9:49 am (3 years ago)

Dear Miss May,
    1. Food additives are used in some foods to make them look more exciting.
    2. MSG is a flavour enhancer its number is 621.
    3. People are concerned about food additives beacuse they think it is making kids restless and hyper.
    4. The eating program has been trialled becausethey want to see if eating food additives makes kids different.
    5. After eating no food additives for a while has made the kids get more sleep, be less grumpy and many more things.
    6. I do think that on food packaging there should be more information about food additives more than just a number.
    7. I am not that concerned about food additives because I don’t think they are much of a harm to people and if there was no food additives how would you be able to tell the diferent flavours of ice cream there wouldn’t be any.
    8. From this video I learnt that food additives are labeled in numbers.
    From Lauren!

14. Aleecia
    March 18, 2015 at 9:50 am (3 years ago)

Dear Miss May,
    1.Additives are used in food mostly to make it more appealing, like junk food and soft drink.
    2. MSG (mono sodium glutamate) is a flavour enhancer.
    3. People are concerned about additives in food because they think it can make kids hyper and they are not sure it’s safe to be in food.
    4. The eating programme being trialled at school is about kids cutting out all additives, they are giving lists of foods they should try to avoid, and they are learning how to read labels so they can spot colours, food enchanting and preservatives.
    5. The health and behaviour differences the kids noticed after cutting out the additives are, they got a better sleep, they had better relationships with their friends and they used to have problems with their skin and now they are gone.
    6. I think they’re should be more information about the additives on food labels so then you know what you are eating and what’s in your food.
    7. I am a little bit concerned about the additives in food because I’m not sure what will happen if scientists find out additives are not good for you.
    8. What was suprising about this BTN was that additives are put in your food mostly just to make the food look nice.
    I really enjoy doing the BTN activities and find it very interesting.
    From Aleecia

15. Louise
    March 18, 2015 at 9:51 am (3 years ago)

Dear Miss May,
    Additives are added in some foods to make it taste better and make the colour look better.
    MSG is a flavour enchancer.
    Some people are concerned about additives because it can make them hyper and restless.
    The eating program being trailed in school is cutting out foods with additives and reading the labels.
    The health and behaviour differences children noticed are that they have been going to sleep better, stopped arguing with their friends and they are not itchy on their arms and legs.
    I think there doesn’t need more additives in food because you shouldn’t even eat food containing additives.
    I am concerned about additives because some people eat only what looks appealing with added colours, and basically additives are trying to trick people with adding taste and colour.
    The surprising thing in the is story is that I didn’t even know what additives were and what they do.
    From Louise.

16. Eloise
    March 18, 2015 at 9:52 am (3 years ago)

Dear Miss May,
    I really liked watching this BTN video here are my answers.
    1. Additives are used in some foods to make them more appeling to the buyer.
    2. MSG is a flavour enhance you know if there is MSG because if there is MSG in a food on the back of the packet there is a
    number wich is 621.
    3. Some people are concerned about addatives because they think it makes kids hypo.
    4. The eating program in a school is focusing on eating healthy and cutting back on sugar fat and sult.
    5. By cutting back on some foods kids have noticed that they are falling to sleep easier and in a better mood and not fighting with their friends and also not being itchy during the day so that they focus at school.
    6. I don’t think that there should be more infomation about additives because if ice cream wasn’t different colours you might find it hard to know what flavour you’re buying.
    7. I’m am and I’m not concerned about additives because it’s OK to have a little bit of fat and sugar and to have colourful food. I believe that if you excersize you can eat a bit of unhealthy foods.
    8. I think that everything was surprising about this story because I learnt a lot about food and what is in foods.
    From Eloise.

17. Ben m
    March 18, 2015 at 9:54 am (3 years ago)

Dear Miss May,
    1.Additives are used in some foods for colour,lasting the food longer and taste.
    2.I think is all three of them cause in the video it said it.
    3.that the won’t be in a good mood or have a good sleep and make them unhappy.
    4.All the kids eat non additive foods and they go on a diet to see the differences eating healthy foods and additive foods.
    5.The kids can sleep better and be in a better mood,they’re healthier and in a better mood.
    6.Yes and more clearly on food packets and making people happier in the world.
    7.Yes cause people can be unhappy getting a bad sleep.
    8.That food colourings are bad for you and additives are bad for you.
    From Ben M

18. LiamP
    March 18, 2015 at 9:56 am (3 years ago)

Dear Miss May,
    1. Its to keep people active and hyper.
    2. Its colouring the number is 102.
    3. Because it makes all kids hyper and its bad for you.
    4. All the kids started not eating bad foods and it made a differcece.
    5. It made kids not fight with their friends and not have a rash on your leg sand arms.
    From Liam P.

19. Nick
    March 18, 2015 at 10:07 am (3 years ago)

Dear Miss May
    1.Additives Are used in food to make it last longer.
    2.MSG are used in some foods to add more flavour .
    3.They might get hyper4.They are called the food and I
    Introlerace group.
    5.The could sleep better,they wouldn’t have many fights and
    they didn’t get itchy.
    6.I think there should be more information about the product.
    7.Yes I am worried because if it is in a lot of foods it might
    make you over wight.
    8.For me what was surprising that vanilla is actually bubblegum but just added colour.
    From Nick

20. Marcus
    March 18, 2015 at 10:10 am (3 years ago)

To Miss May
    I learnt to eat good food that don’t have shoogere
    Apples are helfe and it helps you grow
    Warter is helfe to when you get hot
    From Marcus

21. Will
    March 18, 2015 at 10:16 am (3 years ago)

Dear Miss May,
    1. Why are additives used in some food? To make it nice to eat so you will keep buying it
    2. MSG (monosodium glutamate) is a…
    a. Preservative, b. Colouring or c. Flavour enhancer ? C. Because it makes you eat more of it
    3.Why are some people concerned about additives in food? I think that there scared of them putting on weight
    4. Explain the eating program being trialled in a school. There stopping eating chocolate,m&ms,ect
    5. Describe the health and behaviour differences the children noticed after 1. Was sleeping better a night 2. there rashers were less itchy.
    making changes to their diet.
    labels? Why or why not? I think there should not be any more information on the label because people should look better on the label
    7. Are you concerned about additives in food? Why or why not? Yes cause I need a good sleep and be able to play sport
    8. What was surprising about this story? That there are numbers on the labels

From Will s.

22. Jack B
    March 18, 2015 at 10:17 am (3 years ago)

Dear Miss May,

1 Food additives are added to make food look more appealing.2 MSG is a flavour inhansre.3 Some people are concerned about addictives in food because it makes people more hiper. 4 The eating program is teaching kids to read labels and lay back on additives.5 childern have noticed that they sleep better

23. Jack B
    March 18, 2015 at 10:18 am (3 years ago)

Dear Miss May,

24. Jack B
    March 18, 2015 at 10:19 am (3 years ago)

Dear Miss May,

25. Eden
    March 18, 2015 at 10:26 am (3 years ago)

Dear Miss May,
    I watched the BTN video and these are my answers.
    1. Additives are used in food to make them look better.
    2. MSG is a flavour enhancer.
    3. People are concerned about additives in food because it can make kids all hyper.
    4. They are trialling a new eating program and curing out foods with additives. They are learning to read labels so they can know what foods have additives.
    5. They have noticed that they are getting more sleep, not fighting with friends and not getting rashes.
    6. I think there should be more information on labels about additives because people might not know how to read it and might not understand how much their is.
    7. I am not concerned about additives in food because people can still eat healthy food.
    8. People sleep better when they don’t have as much additives and they put food colouring in foods to make them look better.

From Eden.

26. Jack B

Dear Miss May,

6 Yes I do think that there should be more information on food with additives.7 Not that much because if you have
    a healthy diet your fine. 8 Some surprisei things in this video are that bubble gum ice cream is sometimes has addictives but not all do BTN