BtN – Kids Sleep

Watch the video below and then answer the questions as a quality comment to this post. If you get time, explore the ‘Related Information’ section next to the video on the BtN website.

http://www.abc.net.au/btn/story/s3809197.htm http://www.abc.net.au/btn/story/s3809197.htm%5B/caption%5D
1. What’s the last thing you do before you go to bed?
2.What has a new study found about using electronic devices before going to bed?
3.The light emitted from electronic devices can affect how well we sleep. True or false?
4. When it gets dark, your brain clock decides it is sleep time and tells another part of your body to release what chemical?
5.Why do we need sleep?
6.What can we do to get a better night’s sleep?
7.How much sleep do you think you need each day?
8. What are 3 facts that you learnt from watching this BtN video

22 Comments on BtN – Kids Sleep

1. Name*
    February 17, 2015 at 2:44 pm (3 years ago)

To Miss May
    1.The last thing you do is read.
    2.People have studied that the light on a iPad makes you have a bad sleep.
    3.true.
    4.The chemical is called melatonin.
    5.We need sleep to rest are brains for the next day.
    6.To get a better sleep read before sleepy time.
    7.The amount of sleep should be over nine hours.
    8.1 was you need dark to sleep 2 Don’t look at light when you .sleep 3 melatonin makes you sleepy.

2. Jason
    February 17, 2015 at 2:50 pm (3 years ago)

Dear Miss May,
    1.The thing I do before I go to bed is close my eyes
    2.study has found that using electronics before bed can cause damage to your sleep
    3.light from electric devices can affect our sleep is true
    4.the chemical released is called melatonin
    5.we need sleep so that we have energy
    6.to get a better night sleep we could read a book instead of electronics
    7.I think you need about 11 hours of sleep
    8.three facts that I lerant were not to go on electronics before bed-how your eyes work-read a book instead of going on electronics

3. Ben H
    February 17, 2015 at 2:54 pm (3 years ago)

Dear Miss May,
    1. The last thing I do before I go to bed is my iPad
    2.The new study has found out if you do you iPad before you go to bed it effects your sleep.
    3.True because if the light gets to your eyes really close your eyes it effects your eyes.
    4. Your body activates a chemical called Melatonin.
    5.You need sleep because you don’t feel tired and you have energy for the morning when you run around.
    6.Turn your iPad off 1 hour before you go to bed and instead of a iPad read a book
    7. I think you need about 11 to 10 hours to sleep for kids.
    8. Turn you iPad off 1 hour before you go to bed 2. I learnt that the is a thing Melataton makes you go to sleep 3. learn more about the brain. From Ben H

4. Alexie
    February 17, 2015 at 2:56 pm (3 years ago)

Dear Miss May,
    1. The last thing you want to do before you go to bed is play on your iPad.
    2. They have found out that the iPad can disruppes our sleeping time.
    3. The light can effect your brain so yes it is true.
    4. It does clog your brain with a chemical.
    5. You need to sleep so your not tired for the next morning.
    6. What you can do to get more sleep is not play on you I phone before you go to bed.
    7. You need about 10 to 11 hours a night.
    8. The first fact I learnt was to never play your iPad before you to bed my second fact was that they use a chemical named Melitonin and myy last fact was you need about 10 to 11 hours of sleep a night.

5. Hayden
    February 17, 2015 at 3:08 pm (3 years ago)

Dear miss may,
    I watched the Btn kids sleep,
    1.brush my teeth befor I go to bed
    2.that useing divides befor bed ifecteds your sleep
    3.true
    4.your brain’s chemical is called melatoin
    5.we need sleep because if we don’t get sleep we will be tird and you will not be able to focus
    6.in stead of playing on a device you should read a book
    7.I think that I need about 7 to 8 hours
    8.I learnt 1.how dining the light can help your eyes2.your brain can relies a chemical called melatoin3.that to much electronics will infected your sleep!
    Love the actives hope to do it again
    From Hayden!

6. Lauren
    February 18, 2015 at 9:38 am (3 years ago)

Dear Miss May,
    1.What’s the last thing you do before you go to bed?
    I most likely read or play on my iPad before I go to bed.
    It can make the melatonin not work as well.
    I think that the light can effect how we sleep.
    The chemical that makes you sleepy is melatonin.
    5.Why do we need sleep?
    Well, if we don’t get enough sleep it can affect our concentration, memory and our learning, which can cause problems at school.
    You can not use electronic devices a hour before you go to bed.
    About 12 hours.
    That I should not use electronic devices a hour before sleeping,
    That you have a clock in your brain that tells when it is night and day,
    That using electronic devices can make melatonin not work as well.
    From Lauren

7. Caitlyn
    February 18, 2015 at 9:53 am (3 years ago)

Dear Miss May,
    I really in joyed the BTN video and learning about the sleep.
    1.The last thing that I do befor I go to bed is read a book.
    2.the new study found is a brain clock that your eyes send a message of what time of day it is looking at the time of day and then if it is night time it sends out a chemical called melatonin wich makes your body go to sleep.
    3. I think that it is true because the video was all about how the light can effect your eyes befor you go to sleep.
    4. The chemical that is realised is melatonin it is a chemical that makes you fell sleepy.
    5.you need sleep because it helps you learn and it effects your brain and it makes you really sleepy.
    6.you can turn of your technology of fully and you can read a book instead of been on your technology andd if you do won’t to be on your tablets you can turn the brightness down and have it a fair way from your face.
    7.I think that you need at least 6 hours of sleep per day of the minim of it.
    8.I learnt that there is a brain clock in you brain they sends out messages to the rest of your body.
    From Caitlyn

8. Eloise
    February 18, 2015 at 9:57 am (3 years ago)

Dear Miss May,
    The thing that I do before I go to bed is read.
    2. Researches have found that the light in the electronic devices can effect how we sleep.
    3. I think that it is true that the light in the devices can effect how well we sleep.
    4. When it gets dark the chemical that your body realeses is called mailtonia.
    5. We need sleep to keep us healthy and educated.
    6. To get a better night sleep you can turn your devices off one hour before you go to sleep or read a book.
    7. I think we need about 10 to 12 hours a day.
    8. 1. To turn devices one hour before you go to sleep. 2. That there is a new program that has discovered more about sleep. 3. I have learnt about a new chemical called Mailtonia.
    I really enjoyed this activity.
    From Eloise.

9. Aleecia
    February 18, 2015 at 9:58 am (3 years ago)

Dear Miss May,
    1. Reading is the last thing I do before I go to bed.
    2. The new study has found out that electronic devices make the melatonin in your body that helps you fall asleep don’t work as well and it makes it hard for your body to fall asleep because there isn’t enough chemicals in your body.
    3. It is true that the light emitted from electronic devices can affect how well you sleep.
    4. The chemical that your body releases when it gets dark is called melatonin.
    5. We need sleep because if we don’t get enough sleep, it can effect our concentration, memory and learning. If you have bad sleep for a long period of time, scientists reckon it can effect your body too.
    6. To get a better sleep you can turn your device off an hour before you go to sleep, turn down the brightness on your device, hold the screen away from your face or read a book instead of going on electronic devices.
    7. I think you need at least 10 hours of sleep because then you will concentrate more and stay awake in classes so you can learn more.
    8. 3 facts I learned from this BTN video are…. that electronic devices can effect your sleep with the brightness of their screens, your brain has a clock in it that when it’s dark, your body decides it’s time to sleep, and when it’s light, your body decides to wake up, and melatonin helps you to sleep.
    I had fun writing about the BTN video and watching the video!
    From Aleecia

10. LiamP
    February 18, 2015 at 9:59 am (3 years ago)

Dear Miss May,
    1. The last thing I do before I go to bed is do my reading.
    2. The new study the doctors found is when you play your iPad before you go to bed you don’t have enough sleep.
    3. The light that comes from the devices effects you so it’s true.
    4. The body releases a chemical called melatonin to tell your body to go to sleep.
    5. We need sleep because if you don’t you have sleep it will effect your learning and you won’t do as well as you normally would do.
    6. We can not play our iPad within an hour on when you go to bed. Instead if an iPad read a book.
    7. I think you at least need ten hours of sleep every night else you will have a bad day.
    8.Three of my facts I learnt were that melatonin comes out when you don’t see much light, scientist have been studding how people sleep and that your brain has it’s own clock.
    From Liam Plunkett.

11. Nick
    February 18, 2015 at 10:00 am (3 years ago)

Dear Miss May
    The last thing I do before I go to bed is to brush my teeth.
    The new study has found out that it has so much light that it affects your sleep.
    The light from your electronic device can affect your sleep so it is true.
    The brain tell your body to release a chemical called melatonin.
    You need sleep because if you don’t get it it would be harder to memorise things.
    You can get a better night sleep if you turn your electronic devices of a hour before you go to sleep.
    I think we need ten hours sleep.
    The three things I leard from BtN were that electronic devices can affect you so much,
    From Nick

12. Lily-jade
    February 18, 2015 at 10:27 am (3 years ago)

Dear Miss may
    1.the first thing I I do before bed is read a book
    2.that the light can affect your sleep
    3.that is true because it says in the video
    4.your brain releses melatonin when it gets dark
    5.so we aren’t always tired
    6.dim your lite on your screen or replace it with a book
    7.12 hours
    8.you shouldn’t have an iPad in your face you should read a book and not be on an iPad and that there is a chemical called melatonin.

From Lily-jade

13. Kyle yi
    February 18, 2015 at 10:28 am (3 years ago)

To miss May
    1.The last thing that i do before i go to bed is readintg a book.
    2.A new study has found that the light form electrontics stop your brain form releasing melotonian .
    3.The light emitted from electronics can affect your sleep is true.
    4.when it gets dark your brain clock release melotonian
    5.we need to sleep because we need to rest and regain energy.
    6. to get better sleep you can turn of your iPad .
    7.I think we need 9-10 hours of sleep each day.
    8. 3 facts i learned from this btn are that the thing that makes you sleep is melotonian the second fact is that you should not use your iPad 1 hour before sleep. when it is dark your brain clock releases melotonian.
    Form Kyle yi

14. Kyan
    February 18, 2015 at 10:29 am (3 years ago)

Dear Miss May,
    1. The last thing I do before I go to bed is going to the toilet.
    2. Electronic devices emitted a lot of light wich keeps you awake.
    3. The light emitted from electronic devices can affect how well we sleep.
    4. When it gets dark, your brain lock decides it is sleep time and tells another part of your boby to release Melatonin.
    5. We need sleep because if we don’t get any sleep it can affect your concentration and memory.
    6. To get a better night sleep we can dim the brightness down on your iPad.
    7. I think kids need 9 and a half hours of sleep a day.
    8. 3 facts I learned about sleep is one dim the light on your iPad, two get off iPads a hour before you go to bed and three you NEED a lot of sleep to concentration.
    From Kyan

15. Kevin
    February 18, 2015 at 10:34 am (3 years ago)

To Miss May,
    1.The last thing I go to bed is sometimes reading my book on the reading diary.
    2. The new study found out about using electronic devices before bedtime is that it can effect our sleep.
    3. The light emitted from electronic devices can effect how well we sleep is true.
    4. When it’s dark, your brain clock tells you it’s sleep time and tells another part of your body to release a chemical called melatonin.
    5. We sleep because if you don’t sleep well it can effect our concertration, memory and at school.
    6. To get a good night sleep you have to not get on your i pads,I Pod and phones.
    7. I properly need about 8 to 10 hours of sleep each day.
    8. 1. Your brain release a chemical thing called a melatonin to go to sleep. 2. When light hits you eyes the melatonin disappears and makes you awake. 3. Don’t use any electronic devices in the last hour before you go to sleep.
    From Kevin

16. Ella
    February 18, 2015 at 10:35 am (3 years ago)

Dear Miss May,
    1. The last thing I do before I go to bed is brush my teeth.
    2. A new study that has been found is that if you play on electronics before bed it can have a big effect on they way you sleep.
    3. True because it can have an affect on your sleep
    4. Your brain clock decides its sleep time when it tell your brain to release melatonin.
    5. We need to sleep so we can have energy for the next day.
    From Ella

17. Theodora
    February 18, 2015 at 10:36 am (3 years ago)

To Miss May,
    1.The first thing I do before I go to sleep I watch tv but I going to try not to any more. 2.The study is if you use tecknoligy before you go to bed you won’t have a very good sleep. 3.The light emitted from electronic devices can affect how well we sleep true. 4.The chemical that tells you to go to
    sleep is melatonin. 5.So we can concentrate better at school and other places. 6.Put the brightness on the screen down so it’s darker, don’t use tecknoligy within an hour before you go to bed. 7.I think you need at least 12 hours of sleep.
    From Theodora

18. Eden
    February 19, 2015 at 11:24 am (3 years ago)

Dear Miss May,
    I have enjoyed reading groups so far and these are the answers for the BTN questions.
    1.The last thing you should do before going to bed is turning off your phone and reading a book.
    2.A new study has found that using electronics before you go to bed can effect your sleep because they have so much light.
    3.The light emitted from electronics devices can effect how well we sleep, is true because if you have the light shining from you phone it will effect your sleep.
    4.The chemical that tells your body to go to sleep is called melatonin.
    5.If we don’t get enough sleep it can effect your concentration, memory and your learning.
    6.Something that you can do before going to bed is turning the power off and dimming the brightness.
    7.I think you need to get about 10-12 hours of sleep each day.
    8.The three facts that I learnt watching this video today were turn you phone off one hour before you go to sleep,and their is a clock in your brain that releases a chemical called melatonin and that the brightness can effect your sleep.
    From Eden

19. Will
    February 19, 2015 at 11:40 am (3 years ago)

Dear Miss May,
    What’s the last thing you do before you go to bed?
    5.Why do we need sleep?
    What’s the last thing you do before you go to bed? The last thing I dowhen I go to bed is reading my book.
    2.What has a new study found about using electronic devices before going to bed? The new study was the light can affect your sleep.
    3.The light emitted from electronic devices can affect how well we sleep. True or false? True because your Brian thinks it’s morning.
    5.Why do we need sleep? You need to sleep because if you don’t at school you won’t learn properly.
    6.What can we do to get a better night’s sleep? You can get a good sleep by turning off your iPad an hour before you go to sleep.
    7.How much sleep do you think you need each day? You need a bout 9 hours.
    8. What are 3 facts that you learnt from watching this BtN video the first fact I leart was you need 9hours of sleep.
    Your Brian has a clock to tell when you need to go to sleep and your brain release a chemical.
    From will

20. Jack B
    February 19, 2015 at 11:55 am (3 years ago)

Dear Miss May,

8 Three facts that I have learnt are 1 That in your brain you have a brain clock that makes you go to sleep 2 A chemical called milliton makes your body go to sleep 3 That electronics affect your sleep.
    From Jack

21. Connor
    February 19, 2015 at 11:58 am (3 years ago)

1. What’s the last thing you do before you go to bed? The last thing I do before I go to bed is usually read a book or if I’m really tired I go straight to bed.
    2.What has a new study found about using electronic devices before going to bed? A new study has found that using electronic devices before going to bed can actually affect your brain and your body.
    3.The light emitted from electronic devices can affect how well we sleep. True or false? I think this question is true because BTN said so.
    4. When it gets dark, your brain clock decides it is sleep time and tells another part of your body to release what chemical? It releases a chemical called melatonin.

22. Louise
    February 19, 2015 at 6:51 pm (3 years ago)

To Miss May,
    I really enjoyed learning about sleep on that BTN video.
    The last thing I do before I go to bed is read a book.
    The new study found about using electronic devices is that the light on your devices effects your sleep.
    The light emitted from the electronic devices can effect how well you sleep is true.
    The chemical that has to be released is called melatonin.
    We need sleep so we have better concentration, memory and learning.
    To get a better night sleep you can turn of your device at least one hour before you go to bed.
    I think we need at least twelve hours of sleep.
    8. Here are my three facts that I learnt…. 1. In your brain a special area acts like a clock. 2. Too much broken sleep over a long period of time could damage your body. 3. When the suns up and it hits your eyes your clock in your brain feels like waking up.
    From Louise